Overuse Of Adhesive Cream Can Lead To Zinc Toxicity And Possible Nerve Damage
The human body needs various vitamins and minerals to maintain proper health. However, we can meet all of these requirements naturally, including the need for zinc and copper, through quality dietary management. Although some people supplement their diets with additional vitamins in pill form, it is possible to maintain proper levels with the right kinds of foods.
Our bodies also get nutrients and chemicals through absorption, especially from products like denture creams that are high in adhesives and are likely to seep through the gums. Through regular use, it is possible to ingest enough of the metal to throw off the body’s balance, and eventually exhibit signs of zinc toxicity.
Problems begin to arise when we reach our tolerance for a substance. That is, large amounts of chemicals in the body may lead to an overdose, which sometimes causes neurological damage as well as other problems. Some of the symptoms that arise from this situation are easily curable with a blood test and a pill. However, the debilitating pain and lack of mobility from zinc toxicity may cause victims to live the rest of their lives in a wheelchair, or worse.
The human body typically contains around 1.5 to 2.5 grams of the metal at any given time. At these levels, it actually helps to support the human immune system. But levels can drastically increase due to environmental or other factors. One way that our bodies may get too much of the substance is from the adhesives in denture creams such as Fixodent or Super PoliGrip. At this point, the metal becomes toxic and begins causing neurological problems. Common symptoms include:
• Numbness in extremities, especially legs
• Tingling in extremities, especially legs
• Loss of balance
• Loss of feeling or sensation
• Unexplained pain anywhere in the body
• Decreased or shrunken walking stride
• Increased falling or stumbling
• Loss of strength in legs or feet
Zinc toxicity typically leads to a copper deficiency. Symptoms of this malady include:
• Skin sores
• Slowed growth
• Hair loss
Clinical trials and academic studies have shown that this condition may also be a contributor to macular degeneration. When deposits in slowly degenerating eyes are removed and examined, they are often found to contain very high levels of the substance. This has led many scientists and doctors to reexamine medical uses of the substance, sometimes prescribed as a way to improve the body’s immune system. Lozenges, for example, are a frequent treatment for people during cold and flu season.
The higher the levels, the more acute their symptoms become. That is, people who use more products that contain the metal develop symptoms more quickly, and they are often much more severe. Patients that use less of the nutrient may be cured in just a few steps, because their nerves have not been permanently damaged.
Clinical professionals suggest that you visit your doctor as soon as you think you have a problem. A quick blood test can be performed and, if the condition is found early, it is possible to reverse the condition. Those who wait could end up in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives, or worse.